Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Canfield Coaching - Of Compassion and Complacency

I'm proud of myself for blogging here today, as really although it's my intent to blog on my progress daily as I grow with the Canfield Coaching, I really didn't feel there was anything worth blogging about today.

I will touch on a couple things: Compassion, which continues to be presented to me front and centre (not through Canfield Coaching though, just by life in general), is something I'm still very aware of and working on exercising every chance I get.   Part of that was to attend a union meeting to show support for a friend who's a union rep.   My friend stepped down as union steward, in fact all the union stewards stepped down and guess who was nominated?  Yep, me.    Go for a free lunch and to show support and end up a Union steward.   Personally, I've never cared about the union or had any issues I ever needed the union for but they needed another steward, I was nominated, seconded, thirded and given a lot of support.   Did I want the position?  No.  Did they all want me to do it because no one else wanted too?  Probably.  But I saw there was a need and people had faith in me, so out of compassion for others, I reluctantly agreed to let the nomination stand.  Fact is, I have the time and I am not relunctant to make a stand to management.   So I am a good candidate.   Whether this will help or hinder my upwards mobility at my current place of employment is uncertain, but I'm not sure that matters, as really, my goal is to leave it anyway.

The second topic I'm going to address is the always inherent danger of slipping into old unwanted patterns.  And over the last 24 hours I've seen some signs of that.  Saying you're going to quit doing 'X' is completely different than actually not doing 'X' (or conversely doing 'X' that you haven't been doing previously) consistently.  It's good to have this blog actually, as it in part acts as a self-honesty, accountability tool.

The love of my life, has also challenged me (and herself) to look for ways to add value to people.  Mainly though social media.    I have a Facebook account, but I barely use it.  But from today going forward, I'm going to endevour to use it to spread inspiring messages, respond to people's posts in inspiring ways, and to ask for feedback to issues to encourage the best of others to come out too.   I'll also look to add more people, and renew my use of my sister blog http://www.thecuphalffull.com/ to add value to people through that too. 

One of my biggest challenges at the moment is deciding what to focus on, as I have a lot of irons in the fire, but only so much time and energy to spare.   Do I finish my children's books?  Young Adult novel?  E-book? Website ambitions? Comic book writing? Romance building? Networking? Editing work? or just focus on self-development at the moment?   They all feed into my passions and end goals but if I'm to be successful, I need to give whatever I'm doing laser-like focus and not be all over the place.  So most of those wonderful things that I all want to do, will have to wait.

Hmm.... for someone who felt he had nothing to say, I sure said a lot.  :-)

No comments: