Saturday, January 1, 2011

Canfield Coaching - The Pre-season - Day 10

New Years Day

From a series of vivid, nonsensical dreams, I wake to find myself somewhere white.  It only takes me a second or two to identify the floor tiles.  I'm laying on my side on the kitchen floor.  Something cold presses hard against my lips, squeezing them up and over it's edge. Groggy and disoriented I slowly tilt my head to see it's a cooking pot.

That's right, I had gone into the kitchen to get a drink. I had only cracked opened the fridge door when a wave of nausea crashed against my stomach. I'd spun to the kitchen sink but it was full of dishes.  Quickly opening the lower cabinet door I had grabbed this pot.  My legs felt weak so I'd dropped to the ground ready to let my stomach contents fly.  

But I hadn't puked.  The pot was clean.  It appears I'd lost consciousness instead.

Considering it was some early hour on New Year's Day it might not seem like a surprising turn of event, but I was not drunk.  In fact, two bottles of sparkling wine I had bought to celebrate the turn of the new year still sat on my kitchen table unopened.  I had not partied with friends and family, nor I had not spent the evening with the most wonderful woman I had ever met as planned - that had ended around 4pm when she decided to break up with me; I had spent the better part of the evening alone at the hospital, desperate to fight off a fever that was now going into it's forth day with no signs of breaking.

As I fight to get up and finally get that drink of water, the irony hits me.  This is how I am bringing in the New Year.  Alone, in my tiny apartment, with no girlfriend and so feverish I was barely able to think straight.  My life is a mess, party because I'd been bedridden for the last 3 days but also partly because I allowed myself to live a mostly lackadaisical life, never having anything prepared until I suddenly had a need to or until I'd go an a crusade to change some aspect of my life, only to lose interest just when I'm starting to see success.

2011 was definitely beginning on a low note.  The one good aspect is it sets a benchmark for the whole Canfield Coaching that I'm about to embark on.

No comments: