Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Canfield Coaching - Man in the Mirror

Well, despite what the Winslow Analysis says and my own reservations I focused on and completed the various homework assignments ahead of schedule. 

Have had various realizations this week but ironically, most were not from doing these Canfield Coaching exercises.  They were more from looking at the Winslow and from other sources (I'm always reading up on self-help stuff and currently have three books on the go as well as lots of daily e-mails). 

One thing I am reminded of by Canfield's book/tapes is to 'act as if'.   To start living as if you have already arrived.   Obviously I cannot start spending money 'as if' but I can wear the mental and emotional attitudes 'as if'.   Feel the confidence and self-assure that comes from success, in advance.   That may seem a little silly but if you look at how most people succeeded, they did so by doing exactly this.   Acting as if their success was guaranteed, despite having no such assurances.

If I'm going to act 'as if' then one of the things I must stop doing is talking about lack, doubts, fears, or current troubles.   If I'm successful, then I think only of success.  Yes, lack, doubts, fears, and current troubles will always exist.  But I don't have to give them any power.   But speaking of them, worse, by writting of them, I grow them and confirm them.   If my success is assured, then while I still need to acknowledge the fears, doubts and roadblocks in life, I don't need to focus on them at all, or pay them any mind.   I don't want to look at the roadblocks, I want to focus on the way over, under, around or through the roadblock.    I don't need to speak of fear or doubt, just acknowledge them, they should be there (if they are not, then I'm not growing out of my comfort zone), and keep moving towards my goal.

So going forward I want to just blog on my successes.  That's what's important.  That's what will keep me motivated and focus and also help to motivate any readers as well.

As far as the Canfield Coaching goes - I've rewritten my affirmations (positive sayings I repeat daily to myself) and started doing what Jack Canfield refers to as The Mirror Exercise.   The Mirror Exercise is the habit of just looking at yourself in the mirror and acknowledging everything you've done right that day, ending with a 'I love you.'   While I know that's probably ackward for some people, to tell themselves they love themselves, I have no problem there.   I totally love myself.  Not always pleased with my performance, but I have a health love and respect for myself.  The act of regergitating all of the little 'wins' throughout the day in front of the mirror, I did find rewarding and encouraging.  I'm suppose to do it for 40 days, so we'll see how I feel by the end of it.    As far as the affirmations go, Jack again does make the process simple and effective, prompting me to put them to upbeat, empowering rhymes that I can recall quickly and easily and recite whenever I have some down time.

No comments: