Thursday, January 6, 2011

Canfield Coaching - It begins

So last night I finally had my first official coaching session.  I had called the Resources line previously and talked to Gary (my coach, by happenstance, could have been any of the coaching staff) once already but this was our scheduled appointment.

It's only 30 minutes long and you can imagine that those 30 minutes go quick.  To summarize; He asked some questions to clarify some things I had written or that had shown in the Winslow assessment and gain a better understanding of me.   Because I already had a Vision and goals set, and my need was to break down limiting patterns, he assigned me the third module to work on.  

There are twelve modules altogether, available on the site.  Homework basically, to help ingrain the teachings into your life.  The first five are generally mandatory and the rest depend on your developmental needs.

I also committed to researching into some planners either paper or electronic to get myself organized.  I am starting to realize what a state of unprepareness I live in day to day.

Backtracking a bit. They did allow me to redo the Winslow Assessment.   The results were quite fascinating and at times surprising.  I haven't had time to dig deeply into it, but a couple things immediately showed up.

One - That because I do not seek recognition from others, I tend to come across as aloof and self-interested. This shows up in a lot of little ways.

Two - That I have an uncommonly low 'endurance' factor, the ability to focus and commit to getting something done and invest the time/energy necessary.   When I first saw the score, I was sure it was wrong, but as I read the description and thought it over, and more over, watched myself at work, I realized, sadly, how write it was.   If I have to do some 'boring' work, I have a hard time focusing and working on it.  I tend to very easily get distracted away, unless it engages me or I have a deadline.

It also showed that I'm perhaps even smarter (and more logic based?!) than I give myself credit for, and actually, I give myself credit for being pretty smart already.

So I bore easily, lack discipline and am not motivated to do anything to gain acceptance from others.  These are real stumbling blocks.    Looking forward to see what Module 3 brings.

No comments: