Monday, January 17, 2011

Canfield Coaching - Goal Setting

Spent the better part of today working through all the goal setting exercises in the Canfield Coaching module.

The idea of goal setting is of course to
A) Determine what you want, clearly, and make is measurable
B) Determine what you'll focus on first and foremost
C) Break it down into individual steps
D) Make a daily action plan
E) Go!
F) Motivate and inspire you to pursue your goals

Well, I listed out my various goals (again, that's nothing new), and assigned dates to them (again nothing new for the major ones at any rate), and broke them down into individual steps.  Also nothing new, although I haven't done it quite to the extent Canfield suggests.

Am I motivated?  Oh hell... no!  Totally de-motivated by this exercise.   Looking at what I picked for my 'Breakthrough Goal', and all the steps involved, and work involved, and cost involved.   Four years of work, plus hundreds of dollar, plus more work to come up with those hundreds of dollar not in my budget, with of course, no guarantee of success and in fact, Canfield himself gives accounts of people trying and failing (only to try again and eventually succeed).   The thought of investing upwards of four years, plus spending even more money, after the five years and hundreds I've already spent trying to realize this goal, just is not exciting me in the slightest little bit.   In fact, it's making being a bum and just kicking back and playing video games while I cruise in my comfy government job, sound, oh, so appealing.   It's no wonder I did that for that last year.  I was burnt out.

Of course, I didn't pay all this money for coaching just to quit.  And really, I wish the coaching line was open at this time.... or is it?  Nope, just missed them.  Forgot they are on the west coast and there's a 3 hour time difference (or is it four because of Daily Savings Time?).   Regardless, I missed them, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get their feedback into my present mindset.

No comments: