Friday, June 26, 2009

Speed bumps

I'm doing it again.

It is so hard to not get distracted by the impending brick wall that is my current financial situation. And like that 'Canada's Worst Driver' I'm tempted to keep staring at it. Especially as I slip towards it unexpectantly with things like a unbudgeted graduation dinners. It's also always nice to have people, like your ex, to gently rub your nose in it.

So there I am sitting at the table at the restuarant, glum, because while I DO want to show my support to my two kids who had just graduated (from grades 8 and 12) I was very consciously aware that the money I'd be required to pay simply didn't exist in my budget or my wallet. Needless to say, I didn't really enjoy myself despite the fact that it should have been a joyeous occasion.

I did take some small consulation in that I at least didn't afterwards complain about the money like some other people who's idea it was in the first place. Irregardless my attention as a whole is on the wrong place and that dinner was just a poignent reminder of how I'm focusing on what I don't want.

Bob Procter to the rescue!

Already aware I need to change my focus, and clarify my goals so I can clearly focus on them I watched today's episode of Six Minutes to Success and it was like Bob knew my mind.

He told a true story of a true family in Calgary who 6 years ago couldn't even afford diapers because the had nothing in the bank and no credit remaining. They were 2 months in arrears on their mortgage (and I would assume many other less important bills) and about to have their house repossessed. The father sat down with Bob's Born Rich and decided he was going to use it, not just read it and understand it but that he HAD to actually put it FULLY into practise or face ruin.

That family now owns a 2 million dollar home on a man-made lake and impressed Bob so much he hired the man to start up a branch of his company.

Considering they were far worse off than I am currently, that was a great relief to me and has help to give me renewed confidence.

No comments: