Friday, April 1, 2011

Hiding in the Closet Part 2

Back in October of 2009 I wrote an blog entitled Hiding in the Closet.   It was probably the best damn thing I've ever written here.  Not because it was exceptionally well worded, or intelligent - it wasn't.  But because it was true.   That was me at my core.  A little boy, hiding in a closet, struggling with depression, afraid of dealing with the outside world.

Odds are, if you are reading this, you, like I, want to break free from the life you're living.   I want it so bad.  You can see through this blog/dairy how I've struggled, trying one thing after another.  Getting myself out of my comfort zone and then, when I'm really started to break free - I backtrack.

It's that God-damn closet.  The God damn closet I hid in as a child.  It's still there in my mind, in my essence.  When I get moving too far, suddenly I stop and distract myself with TV, games, internet, people.   Yeah? So what?  Isn't that what everyone does?

Yes, that is what the vast majority of people do.  Hide in their comfort-zone closets, afraid to break free.

God gave me an image over New Years 2010 of a huge table with every conceivable dish on it.  Every food from all over the world was there from the simplest rice dish to the fanciest caviar.  It was there for everyone to feast on.  Yet most everyone ate from only what was near the edge.  The food they grew up on, because that's what they knew.  They were afraid to try other things, afraid they wouldn't like it, or afraid it wasn't meant for them.  So they stuck to what they knew.

But IT WAS ALL FOR THEM!  COME FORWARD BOLDLY AND TAKE YOUR SHARE God offers, but almost no one listens.  We trap ourselves in the closets of our minds, then distract ourselves from that truth so we don't have to face the fact that we could all be more than what we are currently exhibiting.  "We don't know how!" we cry.  But the truth is, we don't want to know.  We are afraid if we knew, we'd have to do something.  Something, different.  Something outside of our comfort zone.

So here I am once again, making progress in all sorts of areas of my life - I'm as fit as I've ever been, I have a promising career with Isagenix - as a nice lucrative side business, getting my writing going, my relationship is going well and I want to stop and lose myself in trivial things.

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone, and although the potential rewards are amazing, the pain and discomfort are immediate.   Good.  Good.  It's good to be in pain.   I'm in physical discomfort right now from hitting the gym.  Anyone who body builds will tell you that's a good thing.  No pain/no gain.  If I'm not sore, then I haven't worked myself hard enough to build muscle.  

Right now I'm sore and in spiritual discomfort.  I'm exercising my livelihood.   Part of me wants to stop, to make that pain and discomfort go away.  But I can't.  I can't and I won't.  I can't do it.  I can't settle.  I can't live in that Goddamn fucking closet anymore!   I have to get out.  There's life out there.  There's caviar to eat on that table.   I don't want to miss it all.

So even though I'm scared, even though I want to stop, even though I want to take solace in the little things, I can't.   It's too late for me now.  I look in the mirror and I don't see a little boy anymore.  I've always seen a little boy.  I had never grown up.   I look in the mirror and I see a man, fit, slim, trim, and full of promise.

As infants, we have to learn to put down our soothers or pacifiers.  As children we have to leave behind our teddys and security blankets.  As teenagers, we must give up our childish ways and accept responsibilities.  And as adults, we must give up our comfort zones - time and again.

Come join me in stepping outside of the comfort zone - there's life out there.  Let's live it!

No comments: